For background... he was being asked to complete what we call a “follow up” with this customer, and had some questions for me. Part of his initial (and almost defensive) response was: “well, I wouldn’t want to just call them…”
Yes, you would! and, here’s how it might go –
- Thank your customer for the time they spent providing feedback and acknowledge its importance to you
- Clarify and try to learn more about the issues that you’ve learned about from the customer’s perspective
- Let your customer talk uninterrupted. Really listening will defuse the situation and demonstrate your desire to address their concerns.
- Talk about your suggested resolution. This is also a chance for you to educate them on any misunderstandings or miscommunications that may have occurred.
- Confirm the next steps and the timing for resolving their top concerns.