Customer due diligence can be a powerful exercise that can add value not only during the negotiation and purchase of an organization, but also during the subsequent integrations (where most acquisitions begin to fall short of expectations.) Here are six tips to consider to maximize the value of your investment in customer due diligence (click on each item to learn more).
- Acquiring the right list of customer contacts from the target is critical (and hard)
- Having financial information on the target’s customers is imperative
- Building consensus between the target and acquirer on issues such as survey content and messaging is important
- Having the target and acquirer be on the same page is key
- The end customer ultimately drives the project cycle
- The acquirer should look to their customer due diligence partner to be their strategic advisor during the integration process