Most would say (even my husband) it began 11 years ago, when I started working for Walker. But, in reality I've been a customer enthusiast since I started working in high school. I have always been attracted to service oriented jobs and I like helping people and finding ways to make things better.
In high school and college I had a variety of jobs. I worked retail, was a server at Mother Bears (a pizza place in Bloomington, Indiana), and sold educational books door-to-door. I approached each with the same philosophy...have fun and do my best to serve the customer. I challenged the 'have fun' bit with the door-to-door sales job.
It wasn't until I started working at Walker when I learned about the science of customer relationships. I also learned that science alone will not improve the customer experience. Based on my experiences over the past 11 years, I believe the art of customer relationships accounts for 80% of the challenges and the science makes up the other 20%.
The art is where I focus the majority of my attention today. This blog will be used to share these experiences with you. I encourage you to share your experiences too. So, I'm curious, when did it begin for you? When did you become a customer enthusiast?
Note: This post was originally published in Customer Connection on 10/14/2008.