A customer journey map is a visual representation of the ways in which a customer interacts with a company, a product, or service. Customer journey maps can be used in the following ways:
- To create internal alignment and awareness of customer interactions and key moments of truth.
- Companies use journey maps to pinpoint opportunities for improvement and areas of competitive differentiation.
- Journey maps are used to form initial hypotheses that can be tested using more formalized customer survey research. It is an excellent starting place for companies looking to create or re-engineer their customer strategies.
- Companies use the journey map to engage customers in a conversation about their experiences and any unmet needs.
- As the customer journey map gets traction, it is used as a living framework for sharing customer survey research results, changes in what customers want, and progress on key customer initiatives.